How to Find Your Heater’s Energy Efficiency

December 20, 2021

Heater Energy Efficiency in Show Low, AZ

Updated May 16th, 2024

Heating up your home is one of the more costly tasks you’ll need to do this winter. It takes up approximately 70% of your electricity bills, especially during winter. One key factor exacerbating the situation is faulty heaters that consume higher energy rates than normal. You can get solar heaters or stick with your gas or electric heater. The question is, how efficient is it? Following are ways to tell if your heater is energy efficient.

1. The AFUE Rating

The annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) determines the efficacy of a heater to convert fuel into energy. This metric is expressed as a percentage, indicating how much fuel is actually used to heat your home versus how much is wasted. For example, a heater with an AFUE rating of 90% means that 90% of the fuel is converted into heat, while the remaining 10% is lost through the exhaust or other inefficiencies. A more energy-efficient heater has a higher AFUE rating and vice versa. If you live in temperate regions, you should consider buying a heater with 80% AFUE ratings, as this is generally sufficient for milder climates and offers a good balance between efficiency and cost.

2. Your Subsequent Bills

Your electricity bills fluctuate from time to time due to a wide range of factors, including seasonal changes, varying usage patterns, and the efficiency of your heating and cooling systems. To confirm your suspicions about the cause of these fluctuations, compare your past years’ bills with the present to track the efficacy of your system. Look for patterns in energy consumption and cost over comparable periods. If you notice a considerable change and a spike in your utility bills, it may indicate that your current heating system is not operating as efficiently as it once did. This could be due to aging equipment, wear and tear, or outdated technology that no longer meets current energy efficiency standards. Upgrading to a new, more efficient heating system can help stabilize your energy costs, reduce your overall energy consumption, and improve the comfort of your home.

3. The Age of the Heating System

Every artificial thing has a breaking point, even with constant care and maintenance. Heaters are no different. Over time, wear and tear take their toll, leading to decreased efficiency, higher energy bills, and an increased likelihood of breakdowns. If your house has had a heating system for the past 30 years, then it’s time to upgrade to a more affordable and energy-efficient heating system. Modern heating systems not only offer superior performance and reliability but also come with advanced features like programmable thermostats, zoning capabilities, and smart home integration. These innovations allow for greater control over your home’s climate, ensuring consistent warmth and comfort while minimizing energy consumption.

4. Your Thermostat Readings

Technological advancements are dictating every aspect of our daily lives, and these upgrades truly save us a lot of money. For instance, an automatic thermostat gives you the leeway of raising or lowering the temperature to your liking. When the readings are strangely out of place, it’s time to upgrade or schedule some maintenance. It’s a better way of maintaining the energy efficiency of your heater.

If you reside in Show Low, AZ, or the surrounding areas and need repairs, installations, and maintenance services of heat pumps, ACs, solar systems, central systems, thermostats, etc., reach us at Rim Country Mechanical, Inc. for professional help.